With malware creators and spammers on the prowl, PC users have become more aware about the need to keep their laptops and desktops safe from various virus and online threats. There are plenty of anti-virus and anti-malware software suites you can pick from.
However, AVG suites of security solutions enjoy high popularity among computer users. AVG security software come with ease of use, advanced security features, and offer protection from a multitude of threats including those that come through social networking sites like Facebook.
How Facebook and similar sites pose risk for your PC?
Before choosing an AVG security product to protect your computers from social networking platform based threats it is important to know how such threats affect your PC. Earlier malware creators mostly resorted to emails and external media to spread malware to vulnerable computers.
However, with time theirs strategies have become varied and they are resorting to new measures. The popularity of social networking sites like Facebook has prompted them to use these platforms as their means to spread malware.
The malware creators target unsuspecting users to spread virus and worms through Facebook and similar sites. They target Facebook users with loosened profile security to achieve their objectives. They post and share various types of posts that grab user interest. When unsuspecting users click on such posts and share it with friends, the malware spreads without their knowledge.
The consequences can be serious and it can lead to hampering your relationships with social media friends, clients, and customers. Thankfully, you can resort to using various AVG security products to stay safe from Facebook borne online threats.
Reasons to Choose AVG for protection from Facebook and similar platforms
AVG has enjoyed a successful track record for protecting PC users from a myriad of virus and online threats. Over time, creators of AVG products have included social network related threats into the periphery. Below is a list of some of the reasons why you should pick AVG for security from social networking related threats:
- AVG offers protection from Facebook and similar platforms related malware in many versions, including the popular and free version of its antivirus. Of course, users with paid versions get the protection they are looking for.
- AVG offers protection from Facebook related threats across many OS and platforms, including various Windows versions, Android and iOS.
- With products like AVG Ultimate, you can check the status of all your devices from one console and manage them from a single centralized dashboard. This can be ideal for users who access social media accounts, including Facebook from multiple devices.
- AVG solutions protect your Facebook profile and similar social media profiles from malware and threats without intruding into your regular activities much.
How to protect your PC from Facebook borne malware using AVG
There are basically two ways you can safeguard your computer from Facebook based malware and threats with AVG products. You can flip the switch for product based protection or browser based protection. It is also possible to choose both.
- Product/software based protection from Facebook borne threats
You can pick from several AVG security software to keep your PC safe from Facebook borne threats and viruses. The free AVG antivirus as well as AVG Internet Security offer a feature name link Protection. This safeguards users from malware contained in Facebook posts and links. The feature kicks in whenever you click on Facebook links or posts online.
If there is any malware in it, you will get an alert and AVG’s antivirus component will kick into action. Apart from Facebook, AVG Link protection checks Twitter and any online link for that matter. Not much user intervention is required and by default the component is enabled when you install AVG software in your PC.
- Browser based protection from Facebook borne threats
Some users are paranoid about PC security and they just do not rely on protection provided by the typical antivirus software and seek an added layer of security. For them, AVG has something else to offer! If you are among such users, resort to using AVG Privacy Fix. It does not cost you anything.
AVG Privacy Fix acts as an added layer of security over AVG’s regular link protection component. It lets you decide the amount of privacy you have when you use Facebook and similar services such as LinkedIn and Google Plus. For Facebook, it lets you do the following:
- Enables you enhance the level of privacy in Facebook. When you step up the level of security in your Facebook profile it becomes difficult for hackers and malicious folks to send you malware containing links and posts.
- Using this app, you can control how your profile appears in online search results. You can customize the search accessibility.
- It comes with an anti-tracking feature. This enables you to thwart Facebook from tracking your online activities to a large extent.
- If any malware creeps in your Facebook account and if your privacy settings are changed, you receive alerts.
AVG PrivacyFix thus limits the scope of malware affecting your Facebook profile by limiting access to online malicious threats. You get aware of how your social media activities are being tracked by several websites as well. The app can be used to block more than 1,200 trackers.
It is available as a free download for browsers like chrome and Firefox. Those who buy AVG ultimate protection, also get this component bundled with the suite. It has Android and iOS versions as well.
Summing it Up
Overall, you can make it near impossible for the heinous people and hackers to be able to spread malware through social networking sites like Facebook to affect your profile and PC with AVG. AVG security software like antivirus and Internet security comes with an inbuilt link protection feature which works effectively against such online risks.
This should be ideal for most users, but if you want more security, bolster the protection with AVG PrivacyFix, a browser based app. It helps enhance the privacy level of your Facebook profile by a tangible degree, thus making it harder for malicious content to affect your account.